At Communities In Schools of Chesterfield, we surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Our Site Coordinators work in 9 CCPS schools, alongside teachers and school staff, to remove barriers and help students reach their full potential.
Volunteers are vital to our mission, and we need your help! During our Volunteer Week (April 19-23), you can support our students through several remote volunteer opportunities and one in-person, socially distant opportunity. Continue reading to learn more!
Remote Volunteer Opportunities:
These are “Do it yourself” (DIY) volunteer activities, to be completed at home and then sent to the CIS office. You can view instructions for each of these opportunities by clicking here and scrolling to the DIY volunteer opportunity that interests you!
- Write notes of encouragement to teachers for Teacher Appreciation Week. Teachers do so much for their students, and it’s never been more important to show them our gratitude. Share yours by writing short notes of encouragement or appreciation!
- Create calm down kits for students. We all get worked up sometimes, no matter how old we are. Things like play doh, stress balls, fidget spinners, and Rubik’s cubes are great tools for elementary students who need a few minutes to regroup.
- Record a video of yourself reading a children’s book in English or Spanish. We want to build a digital “library” of story time videos that teachers can show their students.
- Write congratulation letters for students in transition years. Congratulate students for their hard work and wish them luck as they move up to the next grade!|
- Create counting kits for pre-k students. These are great resources for students learning their numbers! Beans, beads, marbles, and cotton balls all make great counters.
In-person Volunteer Opportunity:
We have reserved space at The Perkinson Center for Arts & Education for volunteers to stop by on April 21 to help create teacher appreciation kits and cards for the educators at the schools we serve. Click here to learn more and sign up to participate! Space is limited and registration is required.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email our Program Director, Wendy Lively at [email protected] or call our office (804) 717-9305. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram (@cisofchesterfield), where we will post information about Volunteer Week and other happenings at CIS.
Thank you for your interest in supporting Communities In Schools of Chesterfield!